Friday, August 25, 2006

Trippi Day 1 - postscripts

I didn't have my notes when I posted the last update.  So I thought I'd add a little more detail.

Joe's plane has been delayed an hour due some weather problems.  So the agenda for day 1 was shaken up a bit.  Joe did eventually arrive safely and he was well worth the wait.

A demonstration of an analysis product that we could use in the Green Party was presented.  It took data that we had gathered about our identified base of support.  The tool puts people into 'value groups', I won't go into the detail, because honestly I don't have it all.  Our number 1 value group, however, was identified as "Rejection of Authority".  Makes it kind of tough to organize a political party through the national office when your most numerous supporters are those that reject that very authority. :)

Joe's key message build a community. Build a community not a money grab. When you do ask for money make it for a cause.

It is simple, yet so powerful.  It allowed the Dean campaign to raise sum like $7 million in one week. Once the community is established, it will respond when approached properly.  It will spontaneously organize to solve problems not just raise funds.

In the afternoon Chris Coggan talked about his use of an auto dialer in his provincial by-election. He was able to reach 12,000 people.  The cost was less than  $0.005 per call.  Someone from the floor proposed a possible way to phrase the lead of the message: "This is a paperless flyer from the green party."

I sat down with a small group in a breakout session with Pierre Denis, the director of the GPC head office web team.  He spoke about the new web products that are being released for use over the next couple of months.  There will be a demo at the convention which I am looking forward to it.  I'll report more when I try the demo out.

No comments: