Thursday, September 27, 2007

GPO release MMP list plan

The Green Party of Ontario has outlined its process for nominating list candidates.

The Greens' list, de Jong said, will feature alternating male and female candidates, beginning with the party's Leader and its Deputy Leaders, who are elected democratically in party-wide ballots. The current Deputy Leaders are Victoria Serra, the candidate in Huron-Bruce, and Dr. Sanjeev Goel, who's running in Brampton West.

Also on the list are the top female and male vote-getters, by percentage, from the previous election, in order to reflect the will of party supporters. The balance of list candidates will be chosen through a democratic election among members at the Green Party's annual general meeting. (link)

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The case against FPTP

Andrew Coyne has another excellent article on MMP, specifically the case against First Past The Post.

Here is an exert:

The winner is not the candidate who receives a majority of the votes cast, but simply the one who comes in first place. With four candidates, it can be done with as little as 25% plus one of the vote. The other 75% of the voters are rewarded for doing their civic duty with … bupkus. All in all, between one-half and two-thirds of all the votes cast in a given election are, in this sense, wasted.

Monday, September 24, 2007

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Loss of Respect

I used to respect Sheila Copps, that is until I read this article.

In it she goes on about why she is against MMP in Ontario. The primary tool in her argument is fear mongering. She claims religious extremist will take over the government.

I used to have respect for her. All of that is now gone. She has demonstrated herself to be a bigot.